Saturday, July 12, 2014

August Favorites

Since I haven't decided upon how I'm going to handle ANYTHING in my second grade classroom this year, I thought I would pick two (yeah, I'm borrowing the term from Panera, since I ate lunch there today) pics to share from kindergarten of some tried and true favorites.


In my kindergarten classroom, it was much easier to have community supplies.  These tackle boxes are my tried and true favorite way to store crayons at the tables.  When I started teaching, I had the chance to observe in my coworkers' classes.  Color me so impressed that I ran to Walmart that afternoon to buy some for my classroom.  When everyone needs a yellow crayon, I do not have to wait and wait for them to find it.  My OCD heart swells when I fill them with Crayola crayons each year.  Crayola is the BEST!  They have the truest colors.  Spend the extra dime.  Trust me!


Gee, isn't this cute?  (Sorry!  I couldn't resist!)  This is another thing I learned from a veteran teacher.  I find it's the best way to introduce kinders to your white glue procedures. It doesn't take much prep, you can use the left over scraps of paper from last year, it looks great on the walls or in the windows!!  Oh, and it gives you a chance to teach them about the first letter in their names, as in, "If your name starts with K, you may line up."  If you want to try them out, roughly cut the scraps into 1"x1" squares (roughly, no perfectionism please, as you can tell by my picture!!).   Use a pencil to draw the capital letter on 9x12 paper (M's and W's work better landscape).  Write the student's full name somewhere on the page for the future.  Anyway, I usually do this on the 3rd or 4th day of school.  It's eye catching in the windows, and it looks so kindergarten-ish!  When I had time and energy for memory books, I would eventually trim around the letter and glue it into the first month of school page in their books.

No comments:

Post a Comment